Monday, September 29, 2008

Duct Tape & a Wart

I took Austin into the doctor last Friday so he could get a wart on the bottom of his foot removed...or frozen. The doctor came in and explained that it actually is better to put tape on it! "Your kidding?" is what I wanted to say. "So I paid how much for that advice??"

Here's the RX for getting rid of a plantar wart (free for those of you who read my blog)
1. Keep tape over the wart for 24/7. The more moist the better. If the tape falls off, put another piece on.
2. Once a week: File the wart to remove the top skin. Clean file very well because the wart virus is present & you don't want it to spread. Next put beta carotene (Vitamin A) on the wart & replace with a clean piece of tape.
3. Continue the above steps for 6-8 weeks. Your body will product antibodies and fight the wart off.

Reason why this works better than freezing according to Austin's doctor: Freezing makes a blister which then pops and spreads the virus even more. Freezing does not allow the body to make antibodies to fight the virus, therefore will possibly eliminate getting more in the future. There is also a risk of infection due to the blistering.

So there you have it...without the office fee :)

2 comments:

The Godell Family said...

Thanks for the wart advice. I actually have 2 on the bottom of one of my feet and I was going to head to the doctor to get it removed. Now I'll just use duct tape. Supoer advice Dr. Diane. I love it! I'll call you the next time I am in need of Docotor's advice:)

Jessica said...

Ditto the thanks for the advice, I'm sure i'll deal with this sooner or later. I remember the doc trying to cut mine out of my foot as a youngin'.